Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Silence of the Lambs

Hannibal Lecter from Silence of the Lambs ( the movie) is probably one of my favorite movie characters. He is witty, cool, and a cannibal. I enjoyed the movie so much, I decided that the book was worth a try.

I was suprised at how long it took me to obtain the book from the library, it was currently checked out when i looked for it and it had 3 holds before me.

But when I finally was able to get a grasp on it, I understood why.

The book is about an FBI trainee Clarice Starling, who is given a job to study a pure psychopath to receive some insight on a murderer who collects segments of skins from his victims. Of course the psychopath is Hannibal Lecter, once a world renowned Psychologist who killed most of his clients and ate them. Hannibal is a very hard man to work with, but he seems to enjoy Miss Starling.

Eventually in the book, Lecter agrees to help the FBI with the "Buffalo Billy" case. Meanwhile, Jame Gumb, the murderer known to everyone else as Buffalo Billy picks up his next victim, Catherine Martin the daughter of a Tennessee Senator. Hannibal is supposed to help the FBI capture Buffalo Billy before he kills Catherine.

The above bio is just a brief description of the book. I cannot write the true magic of the book  without giving away the book.  Thomas Harris does an amazing job of creating the characters and developing the scene in your head. I give the book an 8 and a half out of 10. I recommend reading the movie before watching the book though. The book is better than the movie, but for my case whenever I read the book first, the movie that might be a great movie is ruined because it doesn't appear to be the picture you imagined.

1 comment:

  1. You made me want to read this book now. sounds interesting

    ReplyDelete