Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Catcher in the Rye and my favorite used book store

Since I was unable to take AP English this year, I decided to read every book they read and see how I like it. The Catcher in the Rye was one of them.



I received a lot of different opinions about this book. Some say it was great, others hated it, and a few weren't partial to it, but didn't hate it either.


I have to say that I hated this book.

The beginning of the book is full of humor and wit, which deceives you and makes you want to read more. But once you get past the 100 page mark, it starts to be really boring.

The main character, a young boy who is a juvenile delinquent, is kicked out of the school he is attending to and has to go face his parents.

But instead of going straight home, he decides to run around alone in New York.

That is basically the story. All the main character does is complain about everything that is wrong with the world. Everything about this book(except the beginning) makes me nuts.

I do not recommend this book at all. I gave it 2 stars out of 5 only because of the beginning.



In other news, I need to give thanks to a new bookstore I have been spending all my money on. Even though the owner claims I am hard to assign reading to (yes assign), she was able to pick out six books that seem great and I got a good price for them. It is called the Rubaiyat and it is on 7th street by TVCC. If you get a chance, I seriously recommend going. It is a great store.

1 comment:

  1. Speaking of the AP English reading list I recommend A River Runs Through It by Norman Maclean and Death of A Salesman by Arthur Miller. Death of a Salesman is one that requires more focus than others (you'll see what I mean if you read it) but its really good.

    ReplyDelete