Sunday, April 17, 2011

1984 by George Orwell, Rating and Review


  • "Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they they have rebelled they cannot become conscious."



 When I was first told about this book, I was a little skeptical about it.
It seemed like one of those novels that were popular in my parents time, but wouldn't interest me now.

Reluctantly, I took the book off of the shelf at my school library, and I gave it a go. Thank God I did.

This book is freaking genius to say the least. From page one, the story captured me and would not let me go until I had finished the book. If you have not read this book, you are missing out.

Winston, a citizen of Oceania, is beginning to question his govermnment known as "Big Brother"

The stories he has been told don't match up anymore, and he knows this because he changes the past.

The Rebellion that gave Big Brother power is changing the past to seem more.. well more awsome. They claim that Big Brother created the helicopter, then they move on to say they made the airplane.

After meeting the love of Winston's life Julie, they decide to join a secret group called the Brotherhood. Both of them are sick of the society they live in and wish to change it.

1984 is an amazing work of art. I read Animal Farm and it was pretty good, but seriously it doesn't stand up to 1984.


The only thing I can say is read this book, if you don't want to, I don't care. Read this book.

I give 1984 5 stars out of 5. There is no such thing as a perfect novel, but 1984 is pretty freaking close. This book easily is in my top 5.


Anyways, you may have noticed the changes I have made to my blog, but just in case let me give you the tour.

The top right hand margin next to the latest blog is my profile. Please feel free to read it. Immediately below is a list of books I am reading currently. Below that is a list of my favorite things ( and 1984 will be added)

A wonderful list of my followers is directly below that, you can click on the button to follow my blog( click it)

And below that is the Poll. I ask questions every once and awhile and you vote on them. Vote!!!

And below that is the other crap.

Below every blog is a comment button, click that and leave a comment.

1 comment:

  1. 1984 Was one of the books assigned for us to read my Senior year. Usually I detest being forced to read books someone else demands me to read. I can honestly say I'm glad it was on the list or else I wouldn't have read it. from the moment I picked it up I couldn't put it down. It was full of almost every genre you can think of; romance, scify, horror, etc...
    what intrigued me the most was its portrayal of a communistic world where not many people rebelled but went along with it. sure there was the brotherhood but in the end, sorry if I spoil it for anyone, they fall back in line.

    ReplyDelete