Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Ethan Frome

One of the owner's at the little used book store I often shop at made me read this book. And at first, I really did not want to. The book was a romance and it was written for an audience before my time. But i grudged through it and I have to say, the ending was worth it.

For the first hundred pages or so, the book is completely boring. Not much happens and really it is hard to get through. 

The last eighty pages however make up for it.

The story begins with a young man visiting a New England Town for the winter. Ethan Frome, an old man who has a disability in his right side chauffeurs him around to do various jobs. When the weather denies them access to the main part of town, Frome invites the man in and his story of how he got to be disabled is told throughout the rest of the novel.

If you wish to discover how, or if this book seems to be something you might be interested in, go for it. But if not, I wouldn't go out of your way. 

I give the story 2.5 stars out of 5. The plot is too flat up until the end, and the setting is before my time. 




No comments:

Post a Comment