Sunday, October 9, 2011

Wrong Side of the River: A Memoir by Cliff Johnson






For a couple months now, I have been meaning to read this book. I heard nothing but great feedback from the local community, and of course I am always interested in Idaho authors.  Finally yesterday I was able to get my hands on a copy of the book, AND I also had the honor of  meeting  the author.

As a young kid, I always complained about something. If my parents wouldn't let me have something, I would get frustrated and complain about how awful my childhood is. Looking back now, I  realize that I had a great childhood. Cliff Johnson's book demonstrates the exact 180 of my childhood.

From an uncle who tries to kill him, to grandparents drunk 24/7, to a mother who is constantly in and out of jail for writing hot checks, Cliff's childhood has been filled with poverty, despair and traveling from place to place, and  family member to family member. The book revolves around Cliffs child hood and his pursuit to find happiness, a home, and more importantly, ultimate acceptance and love from anybody.


From a critics aspect, the book is practically flawless. It is written extremely well, has no errors in the text, and is constructed soundly.

But more importantly, from a readers aspect the book has a fantastic story. The reader throughout the whole book feels like he/she is actually watching the life of Cliff Johnson instead of reading it. You will find yourself crying out to the young Cliff, and cheering for him. This book really puts life into perspective. Once you pick this book up, you will not want to put it down...ever. Cliff, I give you kudos for this book and your success!

I give Wrong Side of the River 4.5 stars out of 5.  If you ever get a chance to read this book, you will not be sorry.

..................................................................................................................................................................


I hope you all enjoyed the post for today, please don't forget to follow my blog if you do not already. I have a Poll located on the right hand side of the blog, you all should express your opinion on it. Feel free to leave comments, and I hope you have a great day. Tell your friends about me!

No comments:

Post a Comment