Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown: BBC List # 42 (2010)

File:DaVinciCode.jpg

About the Da Vinci Code:

Growing up as a kid, I was never really told the story of the Holy Grail (and as far as I know it is not in the Bible). As a matter of fact, I never got the full story until I read this novel. The book revolves around the story of the Holy Grail, and of course, a theory as to where (and what) it is. The main character, Robert Langdon, is investigating a murder that took place in the Louvre Museum. The victim is posed like Leonardo Da Vinci's famous painting, the Vitruvian Man, with a cryptic message written beside his body, and a pentacle drawn on his chest.  In order to solve the murder, Robert Langdon has to go back centuries to discover who is at fault. 

The Vitrivian Man by
 Leonardo Da Vinci

If you enjoy a great mystery, leaking with suspense, and full of history, I seriously suggest it to you. 

Does it deserve to be on the BBC List?

Absolutely. This book is probably one of the most controversial books to be released in the last one hundred years. Dan Brown rekindled the debate of the Holy Grail, the relationship status of Jesus Christs and Mary Magdalene, and not to mention the ever going discussion of what the Roman Catholic Church hid from the public. 

 Does the Da Vinci Code deserve its spot on the list?

No. To tell you the truth, I think this book should be placed higher on the list.  This book as far as I know, is still the best selling English language novel of the 21st century (and the second biggest in any language). The book caused controversy all over the globe, and it is full of  science and history (although some of it is a little inaccurate). I would place this book in the top 25 of the BBC List. It's a fantastic read.



If you haven't already read it, I would advise you right now to go retrieve yourself a copy of The Da Vinci Code (I happen to know, if you live in the Caldwell area, that the Rubaiyat located on 720 Arthur St. has a few copies available). After reading this book, you may also enjoy Angels& Demons and The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. Both books are from the Robert Langdon series.

Thank you for reading the blog!! I hope that you will leave me comments on what you think, and suggestions are always welcome. I also have a Poll located on the right hand side of my blog. The question this week is "Have you read the Harry Potter series?" Everyone is welcome to answer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment